Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Texas Bans Marriage?

Maybe? They passed a constitutional amendment back in aught-five, as a pre-emptive ban to gay marriage. It includes this provision:

""This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

I'm only a few months into my legal studies, so I haven't got the expertise to tell you if banning something identical to marriage is identical to banning marriage. I'll let you know once I get this figured out.

In the meantime, imagine the possibilities:

Man: Won't you have dinner with me?

Woman: I'm sorry, I'm married.

Man: Nope.

Woman: ....Pardon me?

Man: You're not married.

Woman: ....um....yes, I am.

Man: Not according to the constitution! Dinner?

Woman: *Swoon*

No comments:

Post a Comment