Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Faster than a speeding automobile

Yesterday, on my walk home from school I was followed by a horrid screeching noise. It turned out to be a car, in exceedingly bad condition. It was stuck in traffic, and so ended up matching my pace for eight minute walk back, squealing in agony every time that it stopped.

The screeching made me notice the fact that I was actually walking faster than the cars. Traffic isn't usually that slow in Toronto, but I have noticed the same thing happening a few other times. Being in a car here is infinitely slower than in Fredericton.

Fortunately, I live 8 minutes from school, about the same distance from a grocery store, right beside a streetcar and subway stop, and lots of other cool things are nearby. So I can easily ignore the traffic creeping along around me as I walk about, but it's incredible what people put up with for the sake of "mobility".

No comments:

Post a Comment