Monday, October 12, 2009

Wind Energy Drying Devices

I exaggerated slightly in an earlier post when I said that I could find problematic assumptions in any New York Times article. This one is good.

It says that most people living in private homeowners associations in the states are banned from drying laundry outside. And, apparently 60 million people live in private homeowners associations.
In response, some states have been passing laws guaranteeing people's ability to dry their clothes outside, to the ire of these private associations. That's where the title of this post came from, a lawmaker passed a law to protect "wind energy drying devices" (clotheslines).

All of this is news to me, and all of this is odd to me. Seems clothes drying outside is banned and disdained because it is seen as something poor people do. Which lowers property values.

I probably find this odd because we've always had a clothesline in our backyard. Rather than poverty, it makes me think of sunny days. We can certainly afford to run the dryer, but that's not really the issue. Dryers damage clothes; some clothes shouldn't even go in them at all. And it's not very hard to put them out on the line or take them in. I'd never even really thought of it as an environmental issue.

But I guess millions beg to differ. Do we have similar attitudes/laws in Canada?


No comments:

Post a Comment